Tuesday, 29 November 2011
Miss Rep.
I went to see the documentary 'Miss Representation' last week. We had to review either a movie, play, concert or book for Journalism class, so it was perfect because I really wanted to see this film.
It's a documentary on the misrepresentation of women in the media and how this correlates to the underrrespresentation of women in positions of influence and power.
This film kind of made me depressed. The United States, supposedly one of the top democratic and equal oppurtunistic countries is ranked 90th in the world for women in national legislature. And women make up only 3% in clout positions with the media. 3%!!
Another fun fact I didn't know. Advertisers and the government are in a I'll scratch your back if you scratch ours relationship. Do you remember family hour? Do people even know what it is anymore? When I was a kid, advertisers and shows had an obligation to show adult content after a certain hour when kids were more likey to be in bed. Nowadays it's a free for all. Advertisers give money and backing to government, and in return laws of have been reversed so that advertisers can get away with anything. I wanted to show you a couple of pictures of high fashion ads but I couldn't find them. One was of a woman, and all you see are her legs hanging out of the back of a trunk. The other was of a woman with a gun being pointed at her, and she's shielding herself with a handbag. Anything goes these days.
To be continued...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment