Friday, 7 September 2012

Shazam=wow



As a musician, and lover of all things music, I have to say one of my favourite apps out there is Shazam.

I've had the Shazam app for a while now. It's fantastic. With the press of a button, you can find out the title and artist of a song that's playing. Listening to a song in your car on the radio, and you don't know what it is? Just press a button and Shazam. Sitting in a restaurant and you suddenly are overcome with emotion because you just LOVE the song they're playing? Shazam. Your neighbour is playing music and you don't know what it is? Shazam.

True story: A long time ago, in a land filled with people who played CDs, a friend of mine made me a mix CD. It was filled with wonderful dance songs from Europe which he didn't know the titles of. After playing the CD over and over again, it got a little scratch on it, and my favourite song off the CD started to skip. I was heartbroken. I thought I would never be able to hear that song played to it's full glory again, because I didn't know who they were. Fast forward 8 years later, in the land of apps, and a huge realization hits me. If I play that CD, and use Shazam...I can find out who it is! So I ran to get my CD, played the song, skips and all, and pressed Shazam. Those few seconds while I waited for the app to work were intense. And then.....voila!! After 8 years, I finally found out the artist who played my favourite song!

I'm just amazed at Technology. In 20 years we've gone from tapes, to CDs, to thousands of songs being stored in a phone. With one touch of a button we can find out the artist, press another button and buy the song, and one more button we play the song. So thrilling!

The only downfall? So easy to spend lots of money buying all those tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment