Friday, 21 September 2012

PR in the news


My PR in the news assignment/presentation is coming up on tuesday. At first, when we got the assignment three weeks ago, I thought I might have a hard time coming up with a story.

Boy was I wrong. I have so many to choose from I don't know where to begin. At first I thought about doing my presentation on the mess of the NHL and the lockout. Key players would be the owners, the players and of course the fans. There would be enough material as the media is having a heyday with this. Second lockout in seven years is baaaad for the game.

Then, lo and behold Mitt Romney makes a huge gaff. Everyone knows the term 47% by now. It's funny, you just have to wait a couple of days in the world of politics, and some politician will put their foot in their mouth. I give props to Romney for not apologizing for what he said, if he truely believes it...but wow...what a mess for the republican party.

Then in the world of entertainment, there is the PR disaster Amanda Bynes. In six months, she's been charged or arrested numerous times for drunk driving, driving on a suspended license, hit and runs, the list goes on. This girl needs a personal driver..STAT. Just today I read that her whole PR team has quit. They're quoted as saying, you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Yikes. We'll see what happens in her future.

Also in the world of entertainment this week, Paris Hilton is recorded saying not so nice stuff about gays. Retraction, apology, retraction. Just a day in the life of PR people. Where there are humans, mistakes will always be made.

Last but not least, in the world of sports is the cuban baseball player Yunel Escobar who wrote a gay slur on the black stuff players put under their eyes. I think I'll be doing this story for my assignment. Key players in this debate? Obviously Escobar, but also the Toronto Blue Jays baseball club, along with management and owners.

Quite possibly my blog will turn into a weekly discussion of PR in the news. There will always be politicians, entertainers, athletes and Joe Shmoes who say and do silly things. I wonder who will be in the headlines next week? Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment