On Friday, our class had the opportunity to see Page One: Inside The New York Times. What a great documentary! As a Newspaper lover, it was fascinating to see the inside workings of the iconic giant.
I have loved Newspapers since I can remember. I have vivid memories of my mom getting frustrated with me, as she would call my name repeatedly and I would never respond, too engrossed in the paper. It was a habit I picked up from my dad, I guess. He's an avid paper reader too. We could sit for hours, quietly reading and handing each other different sections.
I found David Carr to be one of the highlights, as did so many of my classmates. He is eccentric and refreshing. At times, you sit there thinking, how in the world did someone hire him from The New York Times?!?! How did he get such a coveted position? Then you hear him work his sources on the phone, and read what he's written and you know, full stop. This guy is good.
There were some other highlights too. It was inspiring to watch journalists Tim Arango and Brian Stelter in action. I loved the music by Paul Brill. There was so much to this documentary that I feel I need to see it again, just to absorb everything.
Of course the big question is where will The Times be in five years? We can speculate and make assumptions, but no one really knows. I will be rooting for The Gray Lady with all my heart.

My dad and I were also avid newspaper readers, and we both also drove my mom nuts!
ReplyDelete